Our client in the Not for Profit Industry has an immediate opportunity for a Part Time Bookkeeper with some Payroll responsibilities.
The Bookkeeper is responsible for maintaining the association’s day to day financial records and implementing its fiscal plans following established policies and accounting practices.
They act as the association’s liaison with the financial community and prepare financial reports including monthly bank reconciliations, quarterly financial reports for the Board and assist with the annual audit process.
Accountabilities and Relationships: Reports directly to the Executive Director. Works closely with other staff of the Association to to ensure financial policies and practices are implemented appropriately.
Following the association’s financial policies and basic accounting principles the bookkeeper is responsible to:
General Bookkeeping Duties
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable (QuickBooks)
- Reconcile and balance all accounts
- Prepare checks, online payments (RBC Express) and bank deposits
- Prepare and process all payroll functions (Ceridian)
- Calculate and prepare tax payments (HST)
- Maintain complete filing system to support financial records
- Check and verify source documents such as invoices, receipts, computer printouts
- Transfer data to general ledger
- Draw up financial statements (trial balance, income statement, balance sheet)
Reporting and Relationship Duties
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets, and assist with preparation for annual audit or independent reviews with support from the Executive Director and treasurer
- Assist Executive Director with annual budget preparation
- Collate and analyze account data and generate financial reports
- Comply with relevant reporting requirements (i.e. HST, OMERS Pension)
- Prepare monthly / quarterly financial statements for project staff, Executive Director and Board of Directors (Excel)
- Liaise with project staff and support them in book-keeping needs related to their program areas
- Maintain accounts and relations with bankers
Financial Control Duties
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the funds of the Association according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the Association
- Ensure that the Association complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments
- Sign all cheques or approve release of all payments where authorized
- Maintain internal financial control systems of the Association
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory changes and impacts on the organization’s books of account
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for all financial and bookkeeping activities
- Maintain up-to-date, complete and systematic filing system to support book-keeping and financial records
- Assist the Executive Director in ensuring:
- The Board of Directors and the Association carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- The Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage
- Review, monitor and report on internal control mechanisms
Credentials & Experience
- Bookkeeping or equivalent diploma in a related field
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience working with a non-profit, provincial ministry or municipality.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping procedures for a non-profit
- Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to non-profit associations including employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, charities, taxation, CPP, EI, health coverage
- Knowledge of financial management
- Word processing (Microsoft suite of products or equivalent)
- Financial management (Quick Books)
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $22.00-$23.00 per hour
Schedule: 15 per week, 6 months
Interested candidates may submit their resume in word doc. format to Kerine Brown Gentles at email@example.com for further consideration.
We are an inclusive employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants of all ages, races, colours, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, gender identities and sexual orientations to apply. If you are selected for an interview, please inform your recruiter of your accommodation requirements.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org