Staffworks affirms the rights and dignity of all individuals and supports the full inclusion of persons with disabilities as set out in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005.
Although focused on jobseekers utilizing Staffworks’s services, this policy is consistent with our internal values of quality and integrity. We are committed to ensuring that jobseekers, clients, employees, and members of the public are treated with courtesy, made to feel welcome, and have their accommodation needs respected whenever they interact with Staffworks. This policy is intended to benefit all persons with disabilities, whether a person’s disability is apparent or not.
Staffworks strives at all times to provide its services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Staffworks is committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access services and to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other jobseekers.
Staffworks will provide service in a way that allows the person with a disability to maintain dignity, self-respect and the respect of other people.
Staffworks recognizes that information about a disability is personal and private. We will accept requests for accommodation from jobseekers in good faith and only ask for proof of a disability when necessary to provide service. Staffworks respects independence and allowing a person with a disability to do things on their own without unnecessary help or interference from others.
Integration and Service Access
Staffworks will provide service to a person with a disability in such a way that they have an opportunity to access services equal to that given to others.
When planning a new initiative or when purchasing new equipment or technology, Staffworks will consider the impacts on clients with disabilities. Staffworks will ensure that services are accessible to people with disabilities who use wheelchairs and other assistive devices such as walkers, white canes, oxygen tanks and electronic communication devices.
Staffworks will welcome service animals used by a people with a disability, such as dogs used by people who are blind and hearing alert animals for people who are Deaf.
Staffworks will welcome support persons accompanying a person with a disability, such as sign language interpreters, real-time captioners and attendants such as a personal support worker, a volunteer, a family member or a friend who helps the client with communication, mobility or medical needs. At no time will the person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while at Staffworks.
In the event of an entry fee being charged for a Staffworks event, the entry fee for a support person accompanying a person with a disability will be waived.
Staffworks will make every effort to communicate with persons with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability, recognizing that different ways will work for different people and in different circumstances, such as writing, speaking, using pictures, in person, over the phone or online.
Staffworks recognizes that the best way to determine a person’s communication preferences is to find out directly by asking the person how to best communicate with them.
In the preparation of documents for public use on the website or in hard copy. Staffworks will use plain language for easier understanding.
Staffworks will circulate this Accessibility policy to all employees. Staffworks will also conduct training sessions for employees and incorporate this training into all new employee orientation processes.
The Staffworks training in relation to providing services to people with disability is consistent with the Customer Service Standard, and will include:
- Familiarity with this policy for providing services for people with disability.
- A review of the purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service.
- How to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disabilities, including speaking over the telephone in clear and plain language clearly and slowly.
- How to interact with persons with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person and if and how to offer assistance to them when they are at Staffworks.
- What to do if a person with a particular type of disability is having difficulty accessing Staffworks services.
- How to respond to requests about obtaining a copy of this policy.
Additional Training for Internal Staff
In addition to the Customer Service Standard training above, Staffworks’ internal staff will also undertake additional training on the Employment Standard. This includes:
- Informing employees of Staffworks’ accessibility policy and the supports available for accommodation.
- Elements of accessible recruitment processes, including: advertising open positions, inviting candidates to continue in the selection process, and the job offer phase.
- Consulting with employees on their accommodation needs and providing information and communication supports in accessible formats.
- How to develop individual accommodation plans with the participation of the employee, ensuring that the individual’s privacy is protected and that the plan is reviewed regularly.
- How ensure and individual’s safety during a workplace emergency (such as power outage, fire, or extreme weather).
- How to accommodate an individual’s accessibility needs in performance management processes.
- How to develop a return to work process that supports employees who have been absent from work due to a disability, and require disability-related accommodations when they return to work.
Staffworks will post on the website that we strive to improve accessibility for clients with disabilities, and would like to hear comments, questions and suggestions about the provision of Staffworks services to people with disabilities. Information on this process will be posted on the website and included in the footer of any job postings.
Staffworks will invite feedback in person, by telephone, in writing, by email or by another method on how Staffworks has provided services to people with disabilities and take action on complaints.
Notice of Temporary Disruptions of Services
Staffworks will attempt to inform jobseekers, clients, employees, and members of the public if any facilities that people with disabilities rely on to access Staffworks’ services, are unavailable due to a planned or unexpected disruption (e.g., elevators, accessible washrooms).
This will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities, if available. This information will be posted on the website or at relevant venues to reduce the inconvenience for people with disabilities.
Staffworks will post this policy on the website and provide a copy of the policy to anyone who asks for it in the format that takes into account the person‘s disability.
Staffworks is committed to developing client service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities. Any other Staffworks policy that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 calls on us to make Ontario accessible by breaking down barriers for people with disabilities. Accessibility standards are the rules that businesses and organizations in Ontario must follow to identify, remove and prevent barriers to accessibility in the following areas:
- Customer Service
- Information and Communications
- Public Transportation
- Built Environment
Staffworks’ accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that the business will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Please direct any questions, concerns, or feedback on our Accessibility Policy and our Multi-Year Accessibility Plan to: Mila Guidorizzi at firstname.lastname@example.org.